It's really weird putting together a computer wihtout any drives in it. It's a first for me.
I mean Im repurposing an old NVME drive for this build. (Will probably spring for a new bigger NVME next month, and clonezilla everything over.)
But im opting not to supplement it with any SATA devices. No IDE. No MFM. No optical drive, no flopppy. Nothing but the NVME and the USB ports.
Im using a semi modular power supply and I did not need any of the modules.
Work is chaos for me today. But everything is better with the right sound track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpf8Bi1tlg
I've heard a lot of conflicting things about the #FSFE. For those folks I know who enjoy or support them, what do you make of stuff like this: https://write.as/malinagalina/i-took-fsfe-to-court
3. While it may not be true for early versions their ultimate goal is to produce a sub $99 version. Things like the ZX Spectrum close have been around $300 USD or higher during their crowdfunding campaigns.
4. It's also in the club of being built to be shipped with a case. A lot of stuff in this space is sans case.
5. It's VGA not composite.
6. They seem really focused on boot strapping a software community around it before it even launches, via emulation and plenty of tutorials.
Some things I like about this Commander X16 project, which is trying to build a new 8 bit computer.
1. It's very influenced by architectures of the past, but they don't seem bound to backwards compatibility. It's ultimately an all new architecture build on easily sourced parts in the present.
2. Their is an emphasis on making the hardware easy to use from the assembly level. Which is dictating things like their GPU design.
Definitely was hoping to pounce on my feet with me unaware.
Last night I had a sudden and very intense memory of the book "Letters From Atlantis" by Robert Silverberg, that I read as a kid.
Wasn't a 100% I had gotten the title right till I saw the cover.
If I remember correctly its about time travelers, who travel backwards in time by inhabiting the consciousnesses of past people.
And their inhabiting Atlanteans.
And now I want to run a #ttrpg based around this concept.
Gay IT analyst at a rural university. FLOSS enthusiast. Pacifist. Taoist. Anti-capitalist. Believer in social justice. Nintendo fan.
*Due to increased bot signup, manual approval is temporarily required. Please write some applicable request text on signup.*
This Mastodon instance is for tech workers, academics, students, and others interested in tech who are LGBTQIA+ or Allies.
We have a code of conduct that we adhere to. We try to be proactive in handling moderation, and respond to reports.
We're not a free speech absolutist. We're not interested in Nazis, TERFS, or hate speech.
This instance is meant to be a friendly, welcoming space to all who are willing to reciprocate in helping to create that environment.
If you’re ever unsure, ask first. Use CWs where required.
If you’re accused of causing harm, either take some responsibility or ask moderators for help.
Our moderators are here to listen and respond to reports.
This instance is funded in part by Patreon donations.