hottest ever take about programming
obviously, bug reports are great and you should still make them, but I feel like it should be more like "hey here's a thing I found that's not working as intended" than "fuck you!! i downloaded the thing you made and it doesnt exactly fit my needs!!! it is awful and i hate you!! get good!!"
mutual aid request, escaping from abusive parents
So, uh, hi!
Our parents Have Decreed that we Are moving back in with them for the summer...
which, given how bad Christmas was... I really don't think we can handle that. It's rapidly approaching worst-case scenario.
So we're trying to get away.
We may or may not have a place to stay yet, not sure, but it'd be nice to have some money to help us get on our feet when we get there, not starting from zero.
CSA/nazi mentions, richard stallman response
his response is full of "i cant read social cues", even though the things he has said and done have little/nothing to do with social cues.
saying eugenicist shit has nothing to do with social cues, unless maybe you forgot you werent speaking to nazis.
saying that children can consent, or effectively denying the existence of nb ppl has nothing to do with that either.
it seems pretty easy not to harass women without reading social cues too?
❝Since her death in 1979, the woman who discovered what the universe is made of has not so much as received a memorial plaque. Her newspaper obituaries do not mention her greatest discovery. […] Every high school student knows that Isaac Newton discovered gravity, that Charles Darwin discovered evolution, and that Albert Einstein discovered the relativity of time. But when it comes to the composition of our universe, the textbooks simply say that the most abundant atom in the universe is hydrogen. And no one ever wonders how we know.❞ — Jeremy Knowles, discussing the complete lack of recognition Cecilia Payne gets, even today, for her revolutionary discovery. (via alliterate)
OH WAIT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT CECILIA PAYNE
• Cecilia Payne won a scholarship to Cambridge.
• Cecilia Payne completed her studies, but Cambridge wouldn’t give her a degree because she was a woman, so she said to heck with that and moved to the United States to work at Harvard.
• Cecilia Payne was the first person ever to earn a Ph.D. in astronomy from Radcliffe College, with what Otto Strauve called “the most brilliant Ph.D. thesis ever written in astronomy.”
• Not only did Cecilia Payne discover what the universe is made of, she also discovered what the sun is made of (Henry Norris Russell, a fellow astronomer, is usually given credit for discovering that the sun’s composition is different from the Earth’s, but he came to his conclusions four years later than Payne — after telling her not to publish).
• Cecilia Payne is the reason we know basically anything about variable stars (stars whose brightness as seen from earth fluctuates). Literally every other study on variable stars is based on her work.
• Cecilia Payne was the first woman to be promoted to full professor from within Harvard and the first woman to head a science department at Harvard. She also inspired entire generations of women to take up science.
• Cecilia Payne is awesome and everyone should know her.
Google fired another woman working in the ethics of AI... because she was looking into why they fired the woman before her who was working in the ethics of AI.
I'm wheezing, someone pushed the object references of the youtube-dl repository into GitHub's DMCA takedown repository https://github.com/github/dmca/tree/416da574ec0df3388f652e44f7fe71b1e3a4701f
for fuck's sake
angela martinez gomez, murdered by corporate fucks and their patent disregard for human life, and they *blamed it on her hrt*. its racism, its classism, its transphobia, its untenable and its been like this for so long and nothing's changing. im just pissed off. she deserved better. she deserved dignity. she deserved to rest. every poor brown and black trans woman deserves better.
asking for feedback, pls boost
Creatures of Mastodon who have disabilities of any kind, I want to hear from you. I think home automation has a huge untapped potential to aid people with disabilities function in their homes, but as a person without physical disabilities I cannot determent what and what would not be helpful, that's where you come in! If you either have an idea, or are willing to listen to mine, please contact me! atm this is purely academic, but who knows!
Maker, Rustacean, unicorn and geek.
*Due to increased bot signup, manual approval is required. Please write some applicable request text on signup.*
This Mastodon instance is for tech workers, academics, students, and others interested in tech who are LGBTQIA+ or Allies.
We have a code of conduct that we adhere to. We try to be proactive in handling moderation, and respond to reports.
We're not a free speech absolutist. We're not interested in Nazis, TERFS, or hate speech.
This instance is meant to be a friendly, welcoming space to all who are willing to reciprocate in helping to create that environment.
If you’re ever unsure, ask first. Use CWs where required.
If you’re accused of causing harm, either take some responsibility or ask moderators for help.
Our moderators are here to listen and respond to reports.
This instance is funded in part by Patreon donations.