I just opened up my stratum-1 time server for public use and added it to the NTP Pool. It's an IPv6-only server, and helping close the gap between how many pool servers are accessible via IPv6 vs the larger number of IPv4 servers.
So yeah... sharing my clock so everybody has a good time, and slowly inching toward an IPv6-first internet.
@renewedrebecca It's actually for a CPU called Sprout24 that I'm designing from scratch and building in hardware from the logic gate up. It's a 24-bit RISC-style architecture. I have several of the components built in hardware already, and this emulator and the assembler I wrote are helping me validate and debug the rest of the design before I lay out the rest of the PCBs.
Not much info online yet, but here's a placeholder page that I plan to expand at some point:
@inkling (zooms in to make sure there's a TI-85 in there...) Ah yes, that appears to be precisely the proper amount of calculators.
Quite an impressive collection! :)
I'm at the point in the architecture bootstrap process where I'm debugging its first CPU emulator while also debugging its first assembler.
When something doesn't work right, tracking the bits all the way through is a tedious yet rewarding puzzle.
I have some of the CPU boards built (ALU, registers, etc.) and tested already, but as it's time to make them all work together in concert, I'm making sure the whole system works in emulation before designing any more hardware.
@AmethystDragon Ooh, I haven't explored di.fm yet. Good pointer, thanks! (I'm going to end up paying for another subscription, aren't I?)
I've been listening to a lot of Morcheeba and trip-hop music, plus more folksy stuff like Over the Rhine and Vienna Teng. Stuff with a beat but low key enough not to pay too much attention to.
But I do sometimes get stuck in a rut, so that's why I like to ask this every once in a while when I know I'll be behind the keyboard for a while :)
long update on homebrew cpu project
Finally getting a chance to work on my CPU again. I just updated the assembler to reflect some late instruction set tweaks and started updating the emulator to match.
Once that's done, I can re-run my test programs and then start designing the control unit PCB if everything checks out.
The register boards and all the component boards that make up the ALU are built and tested, so I'm feeling pretty good about pulling this all together.
Chief science officer, proud mama, UU leader, secret agent for justice and love.
*Due to increased bot signup, manual approval is required. Please write some applicable request text on signup with why you want to join. Submissions that fail to do so will be denied.*
This Mastodon instance is for tech workers, academics, students, and others interested in tech who are LGBTQIA+ or Allies.
We have a code of conduct that we adhere to. We try to be proactive in handling moderation, and respond to reports.
We're not a free speech absolutist. We're not interested in Nazis, TERFS, or hate speech. No homophobia, transphobia, queerphobia, racism allowed.
This instance is meant to be a friendly, welcoming space to all who are willing to reciprocate in helping to create that environment.
If you’re ever unsure, ask first. Use CWs where required.
If you’re accused of causing harm, either take some responsibility or ask moderators for help.
Our moderators are here to listen and respond to reports.
This instance is funded in part by Patreon donations.